Side Hustle Business: Hacks and Ideas
What is a side hustle?
A side hustle is a job or a freelance gig (or set of freelance gigs) a person manages part-time during off hours from his or her full-time job.
The trick is, though, that a person’s side hustle has to have the potential to supplant a full-time job. So if you’re running a blog with a clear path to monetization within the next 2-3 years, that’s a side hustle. But if you’re aimlessly blogging on a tumblr or on a .me site, that’s more of a hobby.
There has to be a clear path to making money because the whole point of a side hustle is the ability to do something you’re interested in that can develop into a full-time job that’s more purposeful, lucrative, convenient, flexible, and multi-dimensional.
Types of side hustles
Common side hustle ideas in 2019 include:
- Creating a niche website, similar to what’s expertly covered by Authority Hacker and Niche Pursuits
- Building up your own digital marketing or consulting agency
- Developing a technology or software startup (for instance, Mailchimp began as a side hustle)
- Freelancing as a virtual assistant
- Selling items and products on eBay, Craigslist, Poshmark, or Amazon
- Starting up a small business in a niche field
The popularity of side hustles in 2019
One might ask why side hustles are more popular than ever. There are many reasons why:
- While wages have increased as of late, they haven’t as exponentially as needed. Therefore, most people typically have a full-time job with benefits along with a second job, a part-time job that functions as a side hustle.
- In addition, the cost of living in some of the most populated cities in the U.S. is sky high, which incentivizes millenials with standard salaries to look for additional income, ideally passive income.
The benefits of having a side hustle